Pages

Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Reaction to Singer’s essay

My final main reaction to Singer’s essay is effective, but extreme. At first, I read the story about Bob, I feel very angry about his action as most of people will do. But I changed my idea slowly when I read  the whole article.

 The two options which Singer gave us to choose were very crazy and extreme. Bob had two choices, one was the child’s life, the other one  was his future. It’s a real difficult question for him and most of the people to choose. Singer's action may like pushing people to make a decision. I think no one can decide such a thing in a moment. 

In totally, I agree with Singer’s idea. Because he gave us an example that everyone could donate to people who need help if they saved money in their daily life. But he considered people’s behavior was the same with Bob if they didn’t make a contribution to pay money for poor people. It’s so exact that we may can’t accept it.

In my opinion, we can do some things to help others, such as offer some money  to  the poor or give a hand to them in life. But it can be done with a premise that people can live well. In this way, people has the extra wealth and time to help others. That’s the truth. Isn’t it ?

2 comments:

  1. a different view from me
    but i guess he is trying to do a good thing.
    i like your opinion and it would be great if the world worked that way.

    you want to help the red cross too? i will give you a link
    www.redcross.org/give

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hao,

    I like how you are working to assimilate some of Singer's ideas but also trying to be realistic in terms of expectation. Singer deliberately puts us in a very uncomfortable position!

    ReplyDelete